Second half woes cost Western

Flogaites: ”This is the most difficult season I have ever seen and been a part of”

Gina Scaffidi scores a goal for the Leathernecks against South Dakota, beating keeper Sydney Hardin.

Michael Frederiksen

Michael Frederiksen

Zach Martin

VERMILLION, S.D. – It’s become a common theme for the Western Illinois women’s soccer team: leading after the first half, and then collapsing in the second half.

And it happened again.

For the third time in the last four matches, the Leathernecks couldn’t hold the lead they built up, and South Dakota scored four second-half goals en route to a 4-2 Summit League victory at the USD Soccer Complex.

“I’m devastated,” said Leathernecks head coach Ted Flogaites. “We are in pain and we continue to invent new ways to lose.”

After Gina Scaffidi was stopped in the seventh minute by Coyote keeper Sydney Hardin, the midfielder would not be stopped a second time as Kayla Kirkwood found Scaffidi in the middle of the pitch. The senior fired a shot over Hardin’s hands for a goal in the 11th minute.
Off a corner kick, Kirkwood found the back of the net for her first goal of the season in the 32nd minute, and the Leathernecks (2-13, 1-5 in Summit League play) took a commanding 2-0 lead
entering halftime.

USD’s comeback began in the 55th minute when Corey Strang connected on a pass from Taylor Nivala and tapped it in the right inside post for her sixth goal of the year.

In the 78th minute, Strang scored the equalizing goal on a penalty kick, and a minute later, Kasha Meyer scored off a deflection for the go-ahead goal.

But South Dakota wasn’t done yet. Sammie Villwock added the fourth and final goal for USD off a free kick to seal the comeback victory in the 81st minute.

“To finish the match having not only given up an equalizer but two additional goals hurts in ways I cannot put into words,” Flogaites said. “This is the most difficult season I have ever seen and been a part of.

“The most difficult part is that we make mistakes in matches that we have covered a million times in training and in talking as a group.”

Despite having a few chances in the final nine minutes, Western couldn’t put together an offensive spark. The team will now turn around to play the last Summit League matches of the season at home against South Dakota State and North Dakota State.

“We have to care more, listen more, and play with a greater level of passion,” Flogaites said. “There isn’t a lot to talk about. We have to prove what’s inside our hearts and souls this
coming weekend.”

Twitter: @zach_martin95