Sanders, Bush take next round

Rachael Keating

Leslie Borries

Western Illinois University is in the process of hosting its Mock Presidential Election: “The Road to the White House Starts at Western Illinois University” is a five-session simulation held in the Grand Ballroom at the University Union.

Rick Hardy and John Hemingway are professors at Western that have been leading Mock Presidential Elections since 1975. Hardy said that during this time, “students who have participated in these mock elections have chosen the winning party with 100 percent accuracy and have an astonishing record in selecting presidential winners.”

The keynote address was presented by Bill Bailey, the Interim Dean for the College of Business and Technology. He introduced the speaker for the night who was State Representative of the 95th District Avery Bourne.

The caucus and primaries for the Republican Party started at 5 p.m. and ended at 7 p.m.. The Democratic Party followed from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m..There were 12 presidential candidates for the Republican Party and 11 campaign managers speaking on behalf of the candidates. 

There were four presidential candidates for the Democratic Party. The candidates are Gov. Lincoln Chafee, Rhode Island, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Gov. Martin O’Malley, D-Maryland, and Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vermont.

Kole Stadt, an agriculture education major, said that his view on the Mock Presidential Election was worthwhile to attend. Stadt was attending for credit in his   agriculture 420 class.

“It was an interesting experience, but I don’t know if it’s necessarily accurate mainly due to the quality of speakers that we had [tonight],” Stadt said. “I think it makes a big difference how you feel about the candidate whereas if you actually had the candidate here speaking about their own policies you’d be swayed differently.”

From the Democratic side, Jordon Poltrock, a political science major, was very excited about the Democratic candidates, but mainly supports Bernie Sanders.

“He’s working to make college more free,” Poltrock said. “If Bernie doesn’t get it, I want O’Malley to get it. Not Hillary, Hillary Clinton seems to be just a basic democrat who is just trying to win. Bernie and O’Malley are set aside.”

Another delegate from the floor was Kayla Collins, a broadcasting major. Her thoughts were still unsure.

“I’m still undecided; there are still candidates I’m looking into,” Collins said. “I know who I have in mind, I do like Bernie Sanders. I like the person who is presenting him. How he is being presented is very energetic, my attention is focused on him, I’m more towards him and slightly Hillary Clinton.”

In both parties, there was a scramble to give all of the states representation. People were moved from one state to another to balance the number of representatives in each state because during the Republican Caucus and Primaries, the students representing Iowa were not in attendance.  This caused a shuffling of positions, with people being completely rearranged.

Jeb Bush won the primary for the Republicans with 588 votes. Bernie Sanders won the Democratic primary with 1918 votes. The third session will be held Oct. 27, in the Grand Ballroom. This will be the National Convention for both parties. The Republican Party will be at 5 p.m. followed by the Democratic Party at 8 p.m.