Monsters in the Library

Savannah Whitley

 Western Illinois University’s Leslie F. Malpass Library is about to get spooky soon.

 Getting in the Halloween spirit, Malpass Library will be hosting “Monsters! In The Library” on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at noon.

 The monsters will be brought by Western’s English instructor, Jason Braun; Braun will read poems from “Dr. Frankenstein’s Monster,” “Faust,” “The Walking Dead,” “The Reanimator’s Cadre of Corpses,” and other creepy classics.

 This bone-chilling treat is free to the public.

 When Braun is not bringing the scary or teaching Western’s students, he is publishing works of his own, creating apps and creating music — talk about well-rounded.

 While Braun will be reading the words of other great writers at “Monsters! In The Library,” he is no stranger to the pen. From 2011 to 2013 he was associate editor of Sou’wester at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and he currently holds a position as contributing editor at Criticalmargins.com. If you have a story in the digital age you want written about, Braun is your man.

 Braun’s achievements in the poetry world don’t just include reading creepy poerty in the library around Halloween. In 2012, he co-created an anthology called “Fusion.”

 In addition Braun has published works in many different publications including The Riverfont Times, Prime Number, ESPN.com, Big Bridge, The Evergreen Review, SOFTBLOW, The Nashville City Paper, Eunoia Review, Star*Line, Mobius, Camel Saloon, Front Porch Review, Jane Freidman’s blog, The Chronicle of Higher Education and many more.

 Even in Braun’s apps, he’s still all about English. Braun’s first app, Paradise Lost Office App, “contextualizes John Milton’s epic poem for the cubicle crowd.” It is available on iTunes 144th and is the most downloaded paid-business app.

Braun’s second app, The Homophone Checker, allows writers to quickly proofread for errors that word-processing software like Microsoft’s spell check misses. You can use it at homophonecheck.com. Now, you don’t have to explain to your professor why your paper says pubic speaking instead of public speaking.

Even in Braun’s music, which can be found on his website Jasonandthebeast.com, his poetry skills shine. What could be considered electro-rap, Braun’s lyrical talents are nothing to mess with.

 Any and all information about Braun, his writing, apps or his music can be found at Jasonandthebeast.com. Bringing the monsters is just the tip of the iceberg. 

 In addition to Braun’s monstrous poetry reading event, Western provides many other Halloween themed events. If the “Monsters! In The Library” is too scary, Western has you covered.

On Thursday, Oct. 29, the Western Illinois University Symphony Orchestra will host its 17th annual Halloween Concert in the College of Fine Arts and Communication (COFAC) Recital Hall. At 6:30 p.m., This child-friendly event will include music from “Jurassic Park” and “Star Wars.”

 Little children are encouraged to wear costumes and candy will be distributed to all children during the concert. But even if those who aren’t children should come, because no one can deny you candy.

 So Western has something to offer everyone. Whether you want to chill with some music and candy or you want to hear about some monsters, this event will take care of you.