The case for libertarianism

Patrick Quinlan

Your government does not care about you. Your government does not care about me. Your government does not care about the welfare of the people. Your government cares only for the possibility of expansion, and using whatever tragedies and political maneuvers to convince the people to give up more and more liberty in the pursuit of “security.”

 Your government is not your friend. It is the friend of those with the ability to pay, and because 90 percent of the population does not possess the economic capability to buy the influence of the gargantuan state, the rich and the large corporations gain control and command the direction of the country.

 But which party is to blame for this brutal reality? The first step in recovery is acknowledging that a problem exists, and this means that it is necessary to take an objective view of the situation. The answer is simple: Both sides are at fault. From the Democrat LBJ’s Great Society programs that have mired people in poverty by killing the incentive to work, to the War on Drugs started by the Republican Nixon that has imprisoned countless people for possessing the leaf of a plant. Government is not the answer, but clearly the problem.

 Democrats and Republicans alike worked and continue to work to keep a system in place that allows them the ability to expand their power. As much as both sides love to bash one another, the reality remains that they really aren’t all that different; the only real difference is where they want to take away your rights.

 The state has a monopoly on force. As such, it can do basically whatever it wants with little fear of reprisal, whether its actions are constitutional or not. Whenever someone foolishly states, “there ought to be a law,” they are saying that inevitably, failure to follow that law warrants kidnapping or murder carried out by the overseeing state. Libertarians look at such egregious violations of liberty and attempt to fight back. We aim to restrict the size and scope of government to the point that buying its influence, as so many have before, would be of no benefit.

 If my only choices are a party that interferes in my business life or one that does the same in my personal life, then I reject this two-party system as one that does not represent my interests or those of any other rational human being. I therefore look to another party, the Libertarian Party, as the one that will give back the rights that were supposed to be guaranteed under the Constitution, the rights that were so meticulously and intentionally eroded as time passed.

 We reject the use of force by anyone to direct the economic and social behaviors of human beings, and acknowledge that the only appropriate use of force is that used in self-defense. We advocate not for the expansion of the state but a return to the constitutional bounds from which we have strayed so far. And we hope that other rational individuals will join our cause and end this cycle of war, theft and elimination of rights that will only increase in perpetuity as time goes on.