Dangerous fire conditions Monday

Threat is 'high to very high'

Nicholas Stewart, Editor-in-chief

Firefighters from Knoxville, Illinois prepare to combat the growing flames just west of Roseville.

Nicholas Stewart

Dangerous fire conditions will be in place across the region Monday afternoon. Conditions are expected to be worse than last Monday when a large broke out west of Roseville, Illinois (pictured above).

The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a Red Flag Warning which is in effect from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. NWS meteorologists are expecting strong southwest winds gusting as high as 40 mph with relative humidity values as low as 23 percent.

The NWS is saying the fire danger is “high to very high.” Fires are expected to spread rapidly and it will be difficult for firefighters to control in the dangerous conditions. Any outdoor burning or controlled burns are “highly discouraged and should be avoided.”

Firefighters use one of the many firefighting vehicles to combat the field fire. Last Monday's fire required mutual aid from several local departments.

Nicholas Stewart
Firefighters use one of the many firefighting vehicles to combat the field fire. Last Monday’s fire required mutual aid from several local departments.

Dense smoke grows from a large field fire. Firefighters prepare to tackle the fire.

Nicholas Stewart

Firefighters leave the field fire to get more water. Firefighters across the region battled nearly 20 fires that started during very dangerous fire-weather conditions.

Nicholas Stewart