Filed under Showcase, Sports

Western’s upset win in photos

Leathernecks secure a tie for first place in conference play

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa — Western Illinois upset the No. 12 University of Northern Iowa Panthers Saturday. Western tallied nearly 400 yards of total offense in a 24-19 thrilling win at the UNI Dome.

Stacey Smith runs up the midfield. Smith tallied 56 receiving yards on six catches in Saturday's game.

Nicholas Stewart
Stacey Smith runs up the midfield. Smith tallied 56 receiving yards on six catches in Saturday’s game.

Nikko Watson drives the ball into Panther territory on his way to a touchdown. Watson recorded 115 yards on 35 carries totaling one touchdown. Watson also corralled 28 yards on three receptions.

Nicholas Stewart
Nikko Watson drives the ball into Panther territory on his way to a touchdown. Watson recorded 115 yards on 35 carries with one touchdown. Watson also corralled 28 yards on three receptions.

Watson celebrates his first and only touchdown of the game against UNI. The one yard run for Watson put Western ahead 14-0 after a PAT by Nathan Knuffman.

Nicholas Stewart
Watson celebrates his first and only touchdown of the game against UNI. The one yard run by Watson put Western ahead 14-0 after a PAT by Nathan Knuffman with a little over two minutes left to play in the first quarter.

Lance Lenoir fights for a first down against a strong defensive attack. Lenoir tallied 76 yards on six carries.

Nicholas Stewart

Quarterback Trenton Norvell (14) surveys the field on third and five at the Northern Iowa nine-yard line.

Nicholas Stewart

Wide receiver Joey Borselino catches a pass from Norvell for a touchdown, his first and only of the game. The touchdown put Western up 21-3 late in the first half.

Nicholas Stewart
Wide receiver Joey Borsellino catches a pass from Norvell for a touchdown, his first and only of the game. The touchdown put Western up 21-3 late in the first half. Borsellino finished with 64 yards on seven receptions.

J'Vaughn Williams gets a critical first down for the Leathernecks late in the game. This was Williams' lone reception in the game for 14 yards.

Nicholas Stewart
J’Vaughn Williams gets a critical first down for the Leathernecks late in the game. This was Williams’ lone reception in the game for 14 yards.

Western players celebrate following the 24-19 upset win over the nationally ranked Panthers.

Nicholas Stewart

As it stands, the Leathernecks sit in first place in the Missouri Valley Football Conference tied with Illinois State with a record of 3-0 in conference. The Leathernecks will play next Saturday, Oct. 24, at Illinois State in a battle for first place.