Students discover Western

Prospective students tour Western's campus on Monday, Oct. 12.

Shannon Norris

Discover Western came rolling through campus Monday, Oct. 12, which brought along potential Leatherneck students.

One of the many guides was Rashaad Adams, a junior kinesiology major. Adams is from East St. Louis, Illinois and is the student committee chair for Discover Western as well as treasurer for the Picture Perfect Modeling Troupe. He was referred by a friend three semesters ago,  so he applied and got hired.

“I wanted to make a bigger impact on the campus and the university by showing families and prospective students about our school,” Adams said. “You should go somewhere where it is affordable, so you are not in debt when you graduate and go somewhere where it is easy for you to adjust to, and being far away from home helps you become a better adult.”

Many of the students visiting today traveled from as far away as Glenwood, Illinois like Jessica Lloyd, who plans on majoring in broadcasting and journalism.

“My favorite part about the tour so far, is how welcoming everyone is,” Lloyd said. “I like how everyone tells you how much you can get out of it from like just coming here, and learning from here.”

Kyle Walter, a prospective student from Peoria, Illinois appreciated the
Leatherneck spirit.

“I liked how they stated, that like, you know, everyone supports the school, and that means a lot to me,” Walter said. “I actually come from a school where our school spirit could always be better and you guys make it seem like you’re really involved here and I like hearing that.”

 Some potential students even plan on participating in intramural sports; Alexandra Soltis, from Crystal Lake, Illinois, who is looking forward to intramural soccer. She also plans on majoring in human resources management with a minor in supply chain management.

 There were others among the group still planning on attending Western, but were currently undecided for what they would like to study.

 Diana Elazaris, also from Crystal Lake, is not sure whether to major in marketing or supply chain managements, but does have an interest in
trying out for cheerleading.

 Along with Adams, another part of the Discover Western event are its tour guides. Many of them described their favorite part to show to prospective students.

 Hayley Healy, a senior and Physical Education major at Western, likes to show them the track located on the top floor of the recreational center.

 “I like to take them up to the view on the track,” Healy said. “It’s got a lot of workout equipment up there and also a very beautiful look on the campus like the football field and you get to watch people walk to class.”

 Sara Peterson, a senior also majoring in physical education, enjoys walking the perspective students up to the track as well.

 “You get to see every part of campus,” Peterson said. “Plus the view as Hayley said before, is just beautiful and if you look across you can see the freshman halls across Q-Lot. It makes for a good topic to talk about.”