‘Necks hope to freeze Penguins

With tournament time just around the corner, the Leatherneck basketball team may be thinking about who they may play in the first-round of the Mid-Continent Conference tournament.Saturday, the ‘Necks may get a taste of who their first opponent could be in the opening round as they travel to take on Youngstown State University.

The ‘Necks currently are tied for second-place with the University of Buffalo and are within a game behind front runner Valparaiso University. According to WIU head coach Jim Kerwin it’s time for the ‘Necks to put it into gear as “March Madness” draws near.

“All the games are big now as we’re coming down to the second half of conference play,” Kerwin said.

The ‘Necks (11-6, 6-2) are coming off a week’s rest and must play two tough road games against YSU and Buffalo.

Buffalo will be awaiting the ‘Necks Monday as Buffalo defeated them earlier in the season and Kerwin expects the ‘Necks to be ready to dual again against the Bulls. “We played a poor game against Buffalo when we lost here in that we didn’t do the things necessary to win,” Kerwin said. “I think we are going to see a much better basketball team against them the next time.