Necks, Winds crusade to Valpo

The Leatherneck basketball team will face the wrath of a familiar foe Saturday as the ‘Necks travel to Indiana to tangle with Valparaiso University in a key Mid-Continent Conference clash.Both teams come into Saturday’s game hoping to avenge losses in their last contests. For the ‘Necks, they’ll be looking to gain some redemption after coming off a 75-71 loss Wednesday to Southern Utah, while the Crusaders will try to erase a 76-72 collapse to Oral Roberts earlier in the week.

The stage will be set on these two bitter conference rivals, who have established quite a bit of anomosity towards each other. Last year, VU had the upper hand defeating the ‘Necks 75-52 in the conference championship game to earn a berth in NCAA tournament.

The Westerwind basketball team and the Valparaiso University Lady Crusaders have traveled the same road this year with both teams losing key starters from last year and tied for sixth place in the Mid-Continent Conference.

Saturday, the two teams will meet at Valparaiso with the winner moving to a better position in the Mid-Con tournament.

“They lost five starters from last year’s team. They have some returners that didn’t play as much, so we’re in the same position,” head coach Regina Miller said.

“We are going to counteract their half-court offense and use the fast-break offense to create as many opportunities as possible,” Miller added.