‘Winds look for revenge at YSU

When the Westerwind basketball team goes to Youngstown State University Saturday, they will be going for a measure of revenge. The ‘Winds lost to the Lady Penguins earlier in the season.The Lady Penguins are very strong offensively with senior forward Liz Hauger, who is second in scoring in the Mid-Continent Conference with a 19.8 average and three other players who are ranked in the top 20 in scoring.

It seems like an tall order, but head coach Regina Miller believes that the key to freezing up the Lady Penguins’ attack will be to slow them down.

“We will need to stop their offensive transition. They scored 35 points against us (earlier in the season) on offensive transition,” Miller said. “We need to force them to scratch out their offense and utilize our defense.”

This game, for some of the team, is possibly one last chance to get revenge against the Lady Penguins, who beat the ‘Winds last year in the first round of the Mid-Con Tournament, dethroning the then-champions.

“We didn’t do anything particularly well in the first game against them as a team, but if we can shoot 50 percent like we did against Valparaiso, we could make a difference,” Miller said. “We just want to perform well as a team and that includes everyone that plays on the court from the seniors to the freshmen.”

After Saturday’s game, the ‘Winds will travel to the University of Buffalo Monday.