WIU works toward One Stop Center

Danny Davis

Imagine a place where students can get all their questions answered, pay all their bills, register for employment and housing and still be in the same building to get a burger. Well, you don’t have to imagine any longer because WIU is installing a One Stop Center, which will provide students a new alternative to take care of all their needs.Created by Burton Witthuhn, provost and academic vice president, and Kathy Cavins, director of University Housing and Dining Services, the One Stop Center would allow students to receive financial aid or inquire about upcoming classes.

“We’re going to have several services from financial aid to housing stuff to student development and orientation to anything that is in student services,” Cavins said. “You might pick up student employment forms there, you might pick up financial aid from there, you might have a question about career placement.”

Due to the large number of students coming into WIU, the confusion of where to go to find out about university services is increasing. Students are walking all over the campus to get two forms filled out. Thinking of a way to cut down on the traffic and confusion, Witthuhn and Cavins came up with the One Stop Center, which will be located in the University Union. The plan is to have a pilot program running in January.

“With the One Stop Center, you will be able to ask the question and if that place can’t help you, they will send you to somewhere that can,” Cavins added.

When students around campus were asked how they feel about the center, an array of answers came back. Students had mixed emotions about the placing of the One Stop Center but agreed it would help.

“It would be extremely convenient. Everything is so spread out that you get tired going from one building to another, so it would be extremely helpful,” Emily Page, freshman journalism major, said.

“Since a lot of stuff is going on in the Union, it might get crowded. I don’t know if it is a good or bad idea, but it is too crowded in the Union,” Mary Campbell, senior journalism major, said.

Although still in the works, the One Stop Center is promising to be the place of all places to find out anything dealing with student services. Since the center is still in the process of being put together, Cavins is asking for any student who wants a particular service the university provides included in the One Stop Center to contact her at (309) 298-1986.