Your Ma

Lisa Lipscomb

People who click their pens during class … I can’t stand it. Every nerve in my body wants to take that pen and chuck it out a window, burn it or jump up and down on it until my head explodes.I can’t think of any other activity that my fellow students participate in that is more annoying. Maybe compulsive booger sniffers, but that isn’t their fault.

There are two types of pen clickers. One type clicks their pens slowly and only a few times. The other type clicks their pens a lot of times very rapidly. The first type is the most annoying. Sometimes I just want to grab the pens out of their hands, click them numerous times and scream, “There. Are you happy now!?”

Fast clickers usually click their pens out of frustration or when they are in deep thought. Slow clickers click their pens out of boredom and know exactly what they are doing.

Pen clicking is also unconsciously contagious. Clickers don’t realize they are not the only ones in the classroom. Usually there are two or three people clicking, unaware of each other’s existence.

If pen clicking is an unconscious motion, which I doubt it is, then I guess I’m going to have to learn to live with it. But I believe it can be controlled.

I have to admit I have probably clicked a pen or two in my time, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t annoying as hell.

Clickers click their pens off their books, desks, notebooks, arms, legs, face: in essence, anything.

The most ironic thing about clickers is whenever it comes time for them to actually write something down they have to click their pens. As if they were not clicking it over and over and over just a second ago.

I know I cannot put an end to clicking, but I hope I can reach the clickers out there and let them know how annoying their behavior is.