Kenneth Starr is just doing what he was asked to do

Dan Morton

In an endless effort to copycat the rest of the media, I decided to write this column on either Mark McGwire or Kenneth Starr.After deciding on the latter, I read some articles and watched a little television in hope of learning about some horrible background information on Starr. I watched the TV intently, hoping to catch a news break saying that Starr was found to use caffeine as his performance-enhancing drug of choice while chasing down the infamous dress.

Instead I came to a conclusion. After hearing all these people talk about how Starr was a nit-picky headhunter, I sat there and asked myself if all these people in the media had forgotten what it’s like to get a story more important than the opening of the local cafe.

As a journalist, I can easily imagine how hard it was for Starr to track up any dirt on Clinton. Everybody, from the janitors down to the president’s adviser, were no doubt told to stay quiet. Could you blame them? Would you say anything about a man who has the Secret Service on his side?

“Mr. Johnson, we were told that you found an earring behind the Oval couch. Please come with us.”

When a man in power – the president of the United States, no less – is in trouble, he will not hesitate to get dirty in order to keep himself out of the kennel. Starr was hired to do a job and he did it. He is the first man ever to get a reigning president to appear before a grand jury as the subject in question. Chances are, he could be the first man to get a president impeached.

When Starr decided to accept the job, he realized that he was faced with a no-win situation. If he got the indictment, he would be called a nit-picky headhunter. If he didn’t get it, he would be viewed as incompetent.

Everybody in America knew that Clinton had relations with Monica Lewinsky. Even the most devout Democrats had their suspicions. Starr was smart though. He realized he needed more than just the word of the human vacuum. He went out and found past interns and convinced them to testify.

If he couldn’t prove beyond a doubt Clinton had the affair, he could have gotten in some deep doo-doo.

He knew how to cover his own back and he did a great job.

Starr was a proven, respected lawyer before he took the job.

He took the job because he wanted to right a wrong. He knew what he had to do and he did it.

So my question is: Why get on him when he’s trying to restore integrity to the most hallowed position in the world?