Bills delivers Role and Scope

Rob Carroll and Heather Esrig

Student Government Association President Matt Bills presented the SGA Role and Scope at its Tuesday meeting in the University Union Capitol rooms.Bills said in his speech that there is no better time to start improving WIU than the beginning of the school’s second 100 years. Bills went on to quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and, in conclusion, passed out small cards to the SGA senators containing the quote by King and the SGA mission statement.

In old business, the Senate Rule 1998-99.1 dealing with the situation of quorum was not passed. The amendment calls for a 15 percent drop in attendance required for quorum, bringing the total to 51 percent. The other major governing bodies in the United States currently require 51 percent.

“I think it was needed, there were important meetings toward the end of last year and because of poor attendance quorum was called,” David Wallace, SGA attorney general, said. “This is final for now until one of the Senate members writes to legislation about the quorum.”

Constitutional Amendments 1998-99.1 and 1998-99.2 were passed. Amendment 1998-99.1 regarded qualifications of the student representative to the WIU Board of Trustees. The bylaws needed to be changed due to a change in the Illinois state law. Amendment 1998-99.2 dealt with the situation of not having a senator simultaneously hold a position on the Executive Branch.

Currently, there is one person who is a Panhellenic Council representative and in the Executive Branch. It was recommended by the attorney general that the BOT representative hold the position and be grandfathered in as the issue was not clear at the time of her election.

Student Services Committee Chair Rachel Black reported that safety whistles will be distributed in the University Union Concourse from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.

Vice President Lisa Hall stated to the SGA that she will not be resigning from her position, but will be finishing her term and graduating in May.