TV connects adults with education

Josh Monninger

The first of a series of broadcasts dealing with adult education and produced in cooperation with the Central Illinois Adult Education Service Center at WIU started on Wednesday.”It’s a satellite broadcast so we have viewers from across the nation who watch the program, then have the capability of calling in to ask questions live of those on the set,” Bonnie Smith, the assistant dean of the College of Education and Human Services and CIAESC executive director, said.

The first program was “Crossroads Cafe,” an attempt to provide English as a Second Language for multiple states.

In addition, national figures were brought together to talk about English as a Second Language in adult literacy in classrooms. Ron Pugsley from the U.S. Department of Education; Sally Beaty, president of INTELCOM; and Lynn Savage were responsible for the content of Crossroads Cafe from INTELCOM.

“Our next broadcast is in a week, where we talk about teaching math to adult learners and different strategies to use,” Smith said.

This program, “MathAID: Alternative Instructional Design”, will be Thursday from 4 to 5 p.m. It will deal with the frustration that sometimes comes with learning math as an adult.

“We have one (broadcast) later in the month for reading and writing for the adult learner,” Smith said.

This final program, “Opening the Doors for Reluctant Readers and Writers”, will air Sept. 24 from 4 to 5 p.m. to help improve the confidence of adult writers and readers.

In addition to being able to call in, there is a World Wide Web address provided for people to participate in an on-line question-and-answer session using a bulletin board at www.starschools.org.

“The discussion will continue on the bulletin board after the broadcast has ended. Any questions posted during the broadcast probably won’t be answered until it (the broadcast) is over,” Smith said.

All broadcasts also will be shown 3 to 4 p.m. Sept. 15, Sept. 16 and Oct. 7.

“This is all governmentally funded and Western was joined by other states to help make this all a big success,” Smith said.

In addition, the mission of the broadcasts are to let teachers speak to the creators of the curriculum and see how they would handle certain problems, according to Smith.

“This will allow teachers to talk among themselves without having to travel several miles to compare strategies, and not having to spend a lot of money,” Smith said.

Some similar broadcasts done last spring dealt with different ways of learning with multiple intelligence and how to set up a good learning and working environment.

“Anyone who would be interested in learning more should contact me (Bonnie Smith), (or) Adell Newman, who would be the CIAESC director of the project or the Center for the Application of Information Technologies,” Smith said.