RPTA travels to Palisades

Bradford P. Nadziejko

Reservations are due today for the recreation, parks and tourism administration department’s Sunday trip to Palisades State Park in New York for hiking, camping and rock climbing. Novices and pros alike can participate in RPTA’s Horn Field Campus Outdoor Trips Program, coordinated by RPTA graduate student Michael White.

“As the number of participants in outdoor recreation grows, so does the need for quality outdoor education. It’s also important that participants be trained in the appropriate activity to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience,” White said.

“Regardless if you are an afternoon picnicker or a high-altitude mountaineer, it’s essential that you have a basic understanding of outdoor recreation practices.”

The program is aimed at educating people about the outdoors and training others to become leaders for outdoor experiences such as hiking expeditions, rock climbing excursions and canoe trips.

“I’m really excited about these trips,” Chris Mies, sophomore RPTA major, said.

“Not only are they something fun and different to do on the weekends, but it will be educational for everybody. It’s about time that people learn the proper rules and safety practices of the wilderness.

“Plus this could help steer people towards which area they want to specialize in,” Mies added.

“This is a great opportunity for RPTA majors and non-majors to learn about and experience outdoor recreation that they normally wouldn’t get to do,” Brett Shepard, RPTA minor, said.

“I have never gone caving, so this is a good way for me to go with people who can teach me the basics and proper techniques.”

OTP already had a flat water canoeing workshop and day paddle earlier this month.

Other programs scheduled include an orienteering workshop Oct. 14, a daylong mountain biking and trail riding workshop Oct. 24 and a weekend camping and caving expedition to the Illinois Caverns in southern Illinois Nov. 13, through Nov. 15.

Trips and workshops planned for spring 1999 include a kayak rolling workshop, an upper limits day trip and a basic wilderness survival mini-workshop.

A nominal fee will be charged for each event, with transportation and some equipment being provided for each expedition.

White is currently seeking more people to train as leaders. WIU students, faculty and staff, as well as Macomb area residents, are welcome to participate.

For more information, contact White at (309) 833-5798 or (309) 837-5350, or e-mail HF-Campus@wiu.edu. cw sf ps