CBT Week kicks off with speakers, events

Tricia Tortorich

The eighth annual College of Business and Technology Week kicks off today.”The focus (of CBT Week) is simply to draw attention in a positive way to business and opportunities in business,” CBT associate dean Larry Wall said.

“We try to display why someone would choose a career or major in business,” Wall added.

CBT Week will consist of different speakers and activities. All WIU faculty and students are welcome to attend.

“Each day has a special theme. The activities planned are designed primarily for the students,” David Beveridge, CBT dean, said.

Monday’s theme is CBT Alumni Day. J.C. Henriken, WIU class of 1994, will speak to an agricultural class. Sue Frier, WIU class of 1980, will speak to two management classes. In addition to the speakers, the 1998 Business Etiquette Dinner will be held at 6 p.m. The presenter, Nonnie Cameron of At Ease, Inc., will be presenting a “hands-on” business etiquette dinner. Her Ohio-based company specializes in business protocol and behavior for various business situations. Afterwards, she will focus primarily on proper business behaviors.

Tuesday, speaker Nigel Twose, a World’s Bank vice president and adviser for finance and private sector development in Washington, D.C., will present “Business Partners for Development” at 10 a.m. in Stipes 121. The Annual Ethics Panel will follow at 11 a.m. featuring Twose, Peace Corps Fellow Jason Harris and WIU accountancy professor George Peek. They will be discussing “Doing Business in Developmental Countries.”

“We each start off by making a statement about the issue; we just set the stage for larger discussion by creating an issue and continue it from there,” Peek said.

“We are basically trying to stimulate thinking by getting the audience involved,” Peek added.

In addition to these two seminars, there will be an Undergraduate Case Competition at 1:30 p.m. The teams are in competition for more than $700 in cash prizes. The cases are about globalization opportunities and ethical decision-making situations. The cases are situations with regard to the Levi Strauss Company.

The 10th annual Ferguson lecturer and CBT distinguished alumni Ed McManus will present “New Customers – New Trend: Preparing for the Future.” This year’s lecturer is the executive vice president and chief operating officer of procurement and logistics for American Stores Company.

One of the corporations owned by ASC is the Jewel/Osco Corporation. The lecture will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the University Union Grand Ballroom.

The week continues on Thursday with International Day. The rector (president) of the Universidad Autonoma de Queretaro in Mexico will speak at 2 p.m. in Stipes 121.

“The International Day is to provide a global perspective for students,” Beveridge said.

“We take what is taking place around the world and show how it relates with people and businesses in the U.S.,” Beveridge added.

A luncheon will be held to kick off the new CBT Investment Club. The WIU students involved with this club have received $30,000 from Edward D. Jones, Inc., to invest. All profits gained will go toward CBT-related scholarships.

CBT Week wraps up Friday with the 19th annual Economics Conference “The Global Economy: Economic Implications” at 1 p.m. Dominick Salvatore, chair of the economics department at Fordham University, will be the keynote speaker presenting panel sessions at 1:50 p.m. and 3:50 p.m. on “Globalization and International Competitiveness.”

All sessions will be held in the University Union Sandburg Theater. Registration is needed for this event. The cost is $7 for the sessions. “It really is a joint venture among the deans, department heads and faculty to put together a week of activities like this. The faculty has contacted all of the alumni in addition to organizing the case competitions and all other activities planned,” Wall said.

If there are any questions about the activities planned, or if someone needs to make a reservation, please call the CBT dean’s office at (309) 298-2442. ps sf