Students set to scare with haunted trail at Horn Field

Leslie Gray

Ghouls and ghosts will be rampant tonight and Saturday night as the Student Recreation Society presents the ” Halloween Haunted Trail.” The event takes place at the Horn Field Campus from 7:00 -11:00 p.m. on both nights. Each tour will last about a half an hour. Student groups will be led through the prairie and woodlands, where mysterious haunts will be waiting for them.

Jaime Posateri, president of the Student Recreation Society describes the haunted trail as a haunted house that takes place outside

. “They (groups of students) go down through the prairie and though the woods, through Horn Field,” Posateri said.

Horn Field is located about two miles from Macomb High School, on China Road. There is no parking at Horn Field, but parking is available at the high school. Shuttle buses will also be available to students from Q-Lot.

Eight student groups , along with classes from the Recreation, Park, and Tourism Administration department. Posateri has been working since this summer on the Haunted Trail.

“We’ve been working on this since August trying to get things ready for this weekend,” she said. Although planning for a hunted trail may seem like fun, Posateri has not had a simple time putting everything together.

“It’s a lot more than I thought. There’s a major aspect of programming, and the more people you get involved, the more problems you end up having, there’s a lot of different people working together with a lot of different ideas.

It’s hard to get everybody to agree on one specific idea,” she added. Posateri added that not only is the planning complicated, but so is the process of putting everything together.

“It’s a really complicated process, we’ve got different groups like the Greek groups, we’ve got other student organizations such as Concert Safety Corps, which is doing our security, the Graduate Recreation Society, and we’ve got a lot or other kids that are involved,” Posateri said. Parents can rest assure that the trail will not be too spooky for their littlest goblins. There will be a craft room for children under 7.

” We’ve got one of the lodges setup for the little guys under 7, because some of them might not be able to go out on the trail, but we also have it setup to where any of the school-age children, as long as they are accompanied by an adult, they wouldn’t have a problem with it at all. We have special guidelines that there is no blood and guts, no gore at all.

We want it to be a family oriented activity,” Posateri said. Posateri is hopeful that students will get a big kick out of the trail. “We have a $300 contest going on, the group with the best scene gets $300 cash. This is a big activity not only for the WIU students, but for the highs school and the community all around,” Posateri added.

The event is coming back to WIU and Macomb after a two-year hiatus. Ticket prices are $5 for anyone 12 years and up, $3 for children 7-12 with an adult, and one dollar for children under 7. All proceeds from the event will be used to offset the cost of the event, and for continuing support for the development and programs for the Student Recreation Society.