OPS Beat

Dec. 15, the university experienced a major power outage that lasted approximately two and a half hours. The outage forced the cancellation of the full graduate school commencement ceremony scheduled for 7:30 p.m. An informal ceremony, using lighting from flashlights and emergency lighting, was held for students and families in attendance in Western Hall.Approximately 20 graduate degree recipients who did not participate in the informal ceremony were recognized at the undergraduate commencement ceremony Dec. 16.

Dec. 16, an individual reported damage estimated at $500 to the right headlight of fender of a car parked in the Lamoine Village 2 parking lot.

A person reported observing two males attempting to kick down the East Village Apartment sign. The subjects fled when approached.

Dec. 18, the Macomb Fire Department was called to a fully-engulfed fire at the Delta Sigma Phi house, 830 N. Avery. Five students who where in the house escaped. One of those students, Steve J. Bechtold, 21, reportedly suffered cuts to his feet and possible frostbite. He was transported by ambulance to McDonough District Hospital for treatment. The other students were relocated to the nearby house of a local fraternity member.