Fantastic Four

Alex Montoya

Nowadays, superhero movies are almost guaranteed blockbusters. Unfortunately, someone didn’t tell that to director Josh Trank. “Fantastic Four” is a poor excuse for a superhero film and is a complete mockery of the original comic-book heroes. Yes, it is an iteration of the ultimate universe, but it was done with a multitude of inaccuracies.

 First, the cast: Miles Teller as Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic), Kate Mara as Susan Storm (Invisible Girl), Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm (Human Torch) and Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm (The Thing) are all great actors in their own right. They also are great choices for the characters they are supposed to be portraying. 

 The problem with these actors in the film is they were unable to get past the writing. The way the story was written does not allow the actors enough time to establish their characters. Each person that gets cast as a superhero brings their own uniqueness to the character, but the way the movie played out, the cast as unable to give audiences a feel for the characters.

 Another big problem with the film is the fact that it is supposed to be about people with superpowers, and yet the powers didn’t come until about three quarters of the way through the film. This was a major issue because the main focus of the original “Fantastic Four” is the fun and lighthearted relationships between the characters, their superpowers and how they use them combine the two and in a quirky manner. But neither of these seemed to happen during the movie. 

 Anyone familiar with the iconic superhero team knows how light and entertaining the comics are. This film went in the exact opposite direction. The only humor or good-hearted nature the film had going for it were the few times Johnny Storm made some witty remarks. This movie was way too serious compared to the source material. 

 Another issue with “Fantastic Four” is the way Doctor Doom was portrayed. The process in which Toby Kebbell gave life to Victor von Doom is nothing to applaud. Once he finally gets his powers and his body becomes deformed, the whole film just goes down the drain. 

 They take not just one of the best villains, Doctor von Doom, but one of the best characters Marvel has and just completely missed the mark. Doctor Doom looked like Bicentennial Man with leprosy. It is hard to forgive a movie that takes such an iconic character and turns him into something unrecognizable. 

 The only redeeming quality that Doom has is the one line of dialogue that sounds like it was pulled straight from the comics. Other than that, he wasn’t very memorable.

 Director Josh Trank is very forthcoming when it comes to his decisions. He tweeted “A year ago, I had a fantastic version of this. And it would’ve received great reviews. You’ll probably never see it. That’s reality though,” which sounds like he understands that his film was not great, but it also seems like he is trying to make an excuse. 

 It is difficult to tell whether he is making an excuse or if 21st Century FOX really did take creative control over the film. In the past, we have seen what happens when FOX takes control in the X-Men films, “X-Men: First Class,” and the original “Fantastic Four” films. 

 The main reason this film bombed in the box office is because of the writing. The writers and Trank did not come up with the best possible version of this film. Hopefully one day we will get to see a “Fantastic Four” film that is actually good.