Campus rec offers plethora of activities

Garrick Hodge

If you are a Western Illinois University student interested in improving your physical fitness, or joining an athletic team without competing at the NCAA level, then you may want to consider getting involved with the many activities and sports clubs that the Spencer Student Recreation Center offers.

The Campus Recreation Department provides students with the opportunity to try out for a club team, ranging from tennis and hockey to soccer and volleyball, among many others.

If you are not interested in joining a team but wish to recreationally play a sport, intramurals offer students the chance to do just that. Registration for flag football and soccer intramurals has already started, and runs through August 30.

As football fans already know, the NFL season is right around the corner, and the chance to play fantasy football with your friends is now available. Registration is now open for students, and closes August 30.

A bags tournament and obstacle course, with “fatal vision goggles,” will take place at Union Plaza on Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The Pepsi intramural 16-inch softball tournament will be held the week of Aug. 29. Entries for this event, which is open to men’s, women’s and co-ed teams, will be accepted beginning next Monday, and will continue to be accepted through Aug. 28. Each team must include eight players; no gloves will be needed. Students are encouraged to form teams from their residence hall, friends, or campus organization.

Director of Sports Clubs Nick Knowles recently introduced the addition of two new sports clubs, the international soccer club and the dance club, adding even more variety to Western’s selection of club sports options.

“Sports club members consists of former NCAA intercollegiate athletes, but mostly people who played a sport in high school and want to continue it,” Knowles said. “Sports clubs also give opportunities to try new interests, like paddling, fencing and rugby.”

Students are encouraged to attend the activities fair on August 31 in the Grand Ballroom in the Union from 3 to 5 p.m. to learn more information about the clubs.

For a complete list of sports clubs that Western has to offer, log on to wiu.edu, then search for “sports clubs.” In addition, tryout dates and locations can be found by following @WIUsportsclubs on Twitter.