Change we don’t want to believe in

WC Editorial Board

So word on the street, if you’ll excuse the pun, is that the city wants to remodel our beloved Adams Street, making it more college-friendly while at the same time improving its visual appeal. We at the Western Courier say how dare they?

After all, isn’t Adams the epitome of what every Leatherneck alumna thinks of when looking back with fond remembrance at their alma mater? And what about those who are new to our fair university? How many of them decided to attend this school based on the reputation of that single street alone? Well, Adams and maybe Wheeler, we’ll give you that concession. But still, Western is known for two things: Adams Street parties and law enforcement majors. What happens when one of those is no more?

It seems like sacrilege to talk about tearing up one single inch of the cracked sidewalk that runs along the edge of that fair boulevard. And surely it’s unfair to even consider forcing landlords to tear down or renovate the picturesque slums that sit proudly upon the shoulders of the entrance to our beautiful and storied university. And what about the blue and silver Keystone cans that line the street like so many flowers? Will these too be a thing of the past, the stuff memories are made of? It’s like someone said he was going to punch our beloved Rocky in the gut and laugh while he’s on the ground moaning in pain.

Other proposals for this renovation include the introduction of new businesses to the Adams Street area and a mixed-use pathway from Adams to the downtown area of Macomb, allowing for easier access. Surely Macomb already has all the businesses it can handle, what with its numerous coffee shops, Walmart, two McDonalds locations and three Subways. Adding any more business to this town just seems egregious. What possible good could come from places like ethnic restaurants that don’t serve authentic Mexican or Chinese, or stores that make a business of catering solely to college students? Sounds like a complete waste of time and resources to us.

Apparently, according to the mayor, this renovation plan will cost around several million dollars. We say why not use that money for something that makes a little bit more sense. Like say maybe buying enough Keystone for the approximately 13,000 students who attend the University to spend fall semester in a heady blur.

Sounds like a master plan.