Top 3 upcoming movies

Jake Desalvo

That time of the year is approaching. With the coming holiday season and, not far after that, the Oscar ceremony, some of the finest films release fresh from the cutting-room floor to theaters. My most anticipated movies for the holiday season are as follows:

1) “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”

Starring Gary Oldman, Colin Firth and Tom Hardy, I’m already excited. Having Tomas Alfredson (of “Let the Right One In” fame) directing only makes things more interesting. Based off of John le Carre’s novel of the same name, “Tinker, Tailor” is a Cold War-era film following a mole hunt for a Soviet spy in the British Secret Intelligence Service. Expertly cast by an Academy Award’s wet dream, we finally have a spy thriller that looks genuinely thrilling.

2) “J. Edgar”

Clint Eastwood films are always entertaining, and a biopic based on a great historical icon has always been a crowd-pleaser. “J. Edgar” follows the titular J. Edgar Hoover through his rise in politics and career as the first director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Inspiring both awe and fear, Hoover was a living legend throughout his tenure in law enforcement. Starring Leonardo Dicaprio and Naomi Watts, “J. Edgar” is sure to bring the acting chops out in even the on-set extras.

3) “Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows”

Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law are back as Holmes and Watson. Exaggerating Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s mysteries into action pieces should have upset me the first time around, but Guy Ritchie managed to keep the characters and mystery of the stories without bastardizing the intrigue. It’s nice to see Ritchie making good movies again, and this is sure to be the action movie to see from my list. Let’s just hope that Noomi Rapace does a better job as lead actress than Rachel McAdams did in the first flick.