The worst news you’ve heard all week

The worst news you’ve heard all week

Pat Haynes

Well, NBC really Britta’d this one up.

On Monday, NBC announced the decision that it was pulling “Community” from its mid-season lineup for Thursday nights, which the network dubs “Comedy Night Done Right.” This was due to the show’s dismal ratings, averaging less than four million viewers this season, and in favor of returning shows, like Tina Fey’s “30 Rock,” and new shows, like the Chelsea Handler produced “Are You

There, Chelsea?”

The show isn’t quite cancelled yet, as “Community” will eventually get a chance to finish the remainder of its third season. The date for the airing of these remaining episodes is still up in the air, however. And, the prospects of a fourth season are about negative 98 percent.

While the numbers don’t lie, and NBC is a business driven by money, the fact that NBC is pulling one of its most consistently funny shows from the network is saddening. In fact, if I weren’t a robot incapable of emotions, I probably would have cried myself to sleep last night over the news.

The comedy, driven by the likes of Joel McHale from “The Soup,” as Jeff Winger, Chevy Chase as Pierce Hawthorne, Gillian Jacobs as Britta Perry and rapper Donald Glover as Troy Barnes, features incredibly witty writing from a staff of writers led by series creator Dan Harmon. Writing that should make other NBC shows that are painful to watch like the formerly great “The Office” and the atrocious

“Whitney” extremely jealous.

This isn’t the first time a fan-favorite show has been pulled too soon due to low ratings. Everyone’s favorite example is “Arrested Development,” which was recently named by IGN.com as the funniest comedy of all time. There’s also the Judd Apatow-created “Freaks & Geeks,” the post-apocalyptic “Jericho” and the sci-fi, Joss Whedon-created “Firefly.”

So, yes, this is extremely whiny. And, it is likely not to change anyone at the networks’ mind. But, that fact doesn’t make this situation any less upsetting. While it parallels asking why Miley Cyrus sells out arenas while extremely talented bands struggle to make enough money to record music, it just doesn’t make sense how such a great comedy can go unwatched while “comedies” like “Whitney” and “Two and a Half Men” flourish.

Color me disappointed with the world.