Jupic, Murphy honored by Summit League

Tom Loftus and Western Media Services

Husref Jupic, the multitalented midfielder whose adroit ball-handling skills have been a big plus for the Western Illinois men’s soccer team this season, and Bridget Murphy, the lightning-fast libero who has anchored the Leathernecks’ volleyball team this fall, were both honored by the Summit League on Monday for their outstanding efforts last week.

Jupic, a 5-foot-9, 142-pound junior, was named Summit League Offensive Player of the Week on Monday for the first time in his Leathernecks career.

The Des Moines, Iowa native scored the game-winning goal in overtime for Western (9-5-1, 4-1) in its conference title-clinching 3-2 victory over host Missouri-Kansas City on Saturday. For the season, Jupic has 3 goals and 3 assists, and is tied with Daniel Lewis for the team lead in points (9).

Jupic joins senior goalkeeper Andy Ryan – who leads the Summit League in goals-against average (0.83), save percentage (.850) and shutouts (7) – as a Summit League Player of the Week award-winner this season.

Murphy, a 5-foot-7 junior whose defensive wizardry has helped keep Western close in many sets this season, was named Summit League Co-Defensive Player of the Week, sharing the honor with Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis senior Shari Bernhardt.

Murphy, who is from New Lenox, Ill., recorded 34 digs against South Dakota last Friday, and had 33 digs in Saturday’s match against Missouri-Kansas City. She currently leads the Summit League in digs, averaging 6.04 per set, and is fourth in the nation (among all NCAA schools) in that category.