Cut Copy: Aussie Dance Rock

Dave Comerford

Cut Copy is a band that has reached a stellar level of success in their home country of Australia. Their last album, “In Ghost Colours,” reached number one on the Australian pop charts, while their latest effort, “Zonoscope,” reached number three.

Cut Copy was formed in 2001 by front man Dan Whitford. Their sound stays true to Australian bands of the past but translates well to American taste.

They are very reminiscent of Men at Work, an eighties band from Australia that had hits such as “Who Can it Be Now” and “Land Down Under.”

Cut Copy doesn’t stray far from this patented sound that incorporates jumpy low drums and soaring synthesizers. It is a unique blend of African drum tempos and catchy riffs that takes the listener and plants them directly in the Outback.

In July, I saw Cut Copy at Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago where they rocked a set for thousands of people on an outdoor stage. When I decided in early October to go see them at the Canopy Club in Champaign, I was interested to see how their show would translate to a smaller venue.

It was just as energetic, if not more so.

At both shows, they played most of “Zonoscope,” which was released on February 8, 2011. Zonoscope is a catchy masterpiece; it incorporates their unique Australian sound with dancing synths and jumping bass lines.

The lyrics are good, but they aren’t the main focus. When you listen to Cut Copy you aren’t looking for deep emotional content; you are looking to party. They are Australia’s version of LCD Soundsystem and every bit as melodically inclined.

Zonoscope opens with the song “Need You Now.” It starts slow but ends in an eruption of electronica with Whitford yelling, “I know we’re going crazy, but I need you now.” As I said before, the lyrics are not the highlight of this band. This song opens an album that is chock full of dance hits that will leave you with both hands in the air and jumping around like a kangaroo.

Track two is my favorite from the album. “Take Me Over” is an anthem of a song that the band usually reserves for an encore. The verse starts out simple, and then there is the bridge which builds up to the infectious chorus. “Take me over, take me out, through the jungle, through the night to paradise,” is what Whitford croons over the synthesizer part that will be stuck in your head for weeks after hearing it. The song then slows down only to be brought back up with those trademark Outback drums and Aussie flute harmonies.

Another highlight of the album is the song “Blink And You’ll Miss A Revolution.” It is honestly more of the same; dance beats, simple lyrics, all with that signature down-under nuance.

This album is a must for anyone that is looking for a good time. It is an album that is bound to get people dancing with a smile on their face and their beer spilling all over themselves.