Moon’s on the rise

Western Illinois Media Services and Tom Loftus contributed to this report.

Josh Moon’s career is on the rise.

Jim Smith, president of Northern State University, based in Aberdeen, S.D., announced Tuesday that NSU has hired Moon as its newest athletic director. Moon replaces Bob Olson, 56, who will retire in May.

Moon, 32, is currently senior associate athletic director of athletics at Western Illinois. Moon joined Western’s athletic staff as associate athletic director in June 2009. He was promoted to his current position in July of last year.

Moon’s duties at Western include the supervision of all areas impacting student-athletes, including academics, compliance, eligibility, financial aid, athletic training and strength and conditioning. He also oversees facilities and game management duties and serves as the sports administrator for baseball, men’s soccer, men’s and women’s track and field, men’s and women’s cross country and volleyball.

“Obviously, his departure will leave a big void for the Leathernecks, yet I am very pleased and very proud Josh has accepted this opportunity to advance his professional career,” said Western Director of Athletics Tim Van Alstine. “He clearly has the skill set to be very successful in leading the Wolves’ athletics department.”

“I am delighted that Josh has agreed to lead our athletic department. He is an energetic and innovative leader,” Smith said. “His experiences in Division I will certainly benefit all of us here at NSU.”

Northern State, an NCAA Division II program, fields men’s and women’s teams in 16 sports, and is a member of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, a league that also includes such schools as Bemidji State (Minn.), Augustana College (S.D.) and Upper Iowa University. Northern State has the second-smallest enrollment of the 14 NSIC member schools.

Moon came to Western after serving as the assistant athletic director for compliance and sports administration at Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

“I have a deep amount of respect for the athletic tradition that exists at Northern State and am very excited to be a part of the team,” Moon said. “This is a tremendous opportunity and I look forward to helping be a part of the next chapter of Wolves athletics.

“Western … is an amazing place with amazing people,” he continued. “My family and I have enjoyed every second of our time in Macomb. I look forward to many great things for the Leathernecks in the future.”

Moon and his wife Andria, a recent doctor of education graduate from Central Michigan, have two boys, Brady and Kellen. Moon is expected to begin his tenure at Northern State in late April.

“Northern State University will be the beneficiary of his genuine commitment to creating the very best possible student-athlete experience,” Van Alstine said. 

“I want to thank Dr. Van Alstine for his leadership and mentoring these past three years,” said Moon, a Wauotma, Wisc. native who earned his bachelor of science in business administration and his bachelor of science in exercise and sports science from the University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse in 2003. Moon later earned his master’s of science degree in administration from Central Michigan in 2006.”

“(Van Alstine) is one of the most respected athletic directors in the country, and Western is lucky to have such a great person leading (its) athletic department,” Moon added.

The four finalists for the Northern State athletic director position had been introduced to the Aberdeen, S.D. community via a series of public forums.

“Josh has worked with some of the best athletic directors in the country,” Smith said. “Clearly, this was a great field of final candidates. Josh was the best fit with and for our current and future needs. We’ll improve as an athletic program under his leadership.”