Rematch runaway: Jackrabbits win big

Garrick Hodge assistant sports editor

Long-range shooting difficulties prevented the Western Illinois men’s basketball team from having any chance at taking home a victory against South Dakota State on Thursday evening. The Leathernecks fell 74-57 before 2,174 fans at Frost Arena in Brookings, S.D.

Western struggled from 3-point range, making just 3 of 16 of its shots from beyond the arc. The Jackrabbits, meanwhile, converted 9 of 15 of its 3-point tries.

Thursday night’s contest was a rematch between the two clubs, with the Leathernecks hoping to avenge the 67-66 loss they suffered to the Jackrabbits at Western Hall on Dec. 3.

Western was able to limit Jackrabbits star junior guard Nate Wolters to just 10 points on Thursday, with Wolters only hitting 4 of 13 from the field. Wolters is currently the second-leading scorer in the Summit League with a 21.8 points-per-game average.

However, forward Jordan Dykstra stepped up for South Dakota State and recorded a team-high 23 points, including 15 from 3-point range.

The Jackrabbits (23-7, 14-3 in the Summit League) started off strong, sprinting out to a 9-2 lead. Western (14-13, 8-9) then put together an 8-0 run of its own, pulling to within 1 point at 10-9 with 12:06 remaining in the half.

After the Leathernecks took a 12-11 lead, South Dakota State went on an 11-0 run to take a 22-12 lead. At the half, the Jackrabbits led Western, 34-23.

In the second half, the Leathernecks were unable to close the scoring gap to single digits.

For the game, Western shot 45.8 percent from the floor (22 of 48), while South Dakota State shot 52 percent (26 of 50). The Leathernecks were also outrebounded 30-17.

For Western, senior shooting guard Tommie Tyler led the team in scoring, converting 5 of 11 shots for 15 points. Junior Terell Parks also contributed to the Leathernecks’ offensive attack, making 6 of 8 shots for 12 points, also pulling down 7 rebounds and blocking 2 shots. Freshman forward Obi Emegano scored 14 points.

Senior point guard Ceola Clark had a rare off night for the Leathernecks, only scoring 3 points on 1 of 6 shooting in 33 minutes on the floor. Clark also recorded 4 assists.