Record food donations by Western fans

Western Illinois Media Services and Tom Loftus contributed to this report.

Western athletics set a record for amount of food donated during the Jan. 28 “Food Fight” men’s and women’s basketball games against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis at Western Hall. 

All food was donated to the Western Illinois Regional Council (WIRC) in Macomb.

The fourth annual event was part of a Summit League-wide food drive initiative tied in with the Students Team Up to Fight Hunger (STUFH) and organized by the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) at each institution.

Fans at Western donated 2,000 pounds of canned food during the event. When added to the $445 in cash that was donated to the initiative, that brought the total equivalent amount raised to 3,050 pounds.

Leatherneck student-athletes also accepted donations during a three-day period at the Macomb Hy-Vee. The food was donated to WIRC on Feb. 3.

“We had a record turnout this season for the annual Food Fight event,” said Lisa Melz-Jennings, Western’s assistant athletics director for academic services. “The Macomb community was very generous in donating food. 

“We want to thank Hy-Vee for their support and all the fans that donated food during our basketball games,” Melz-Jennings continued. “Our SAAC president, Brooke Stittleburg, took the lead on the project, and I want to thank her for her leadership and in helping make this a record-setting year.”