Every day should be Earth Day

WC Editorial Board

Why is there an Earth Day? In recent years, more people have begun to understand the importance of maintaining a “greener lifestyle.” Store’s shelves are packed with eco-friendly materials and energy efficient light bulbs. Heavy-duty appliances come with “Energy-star” guides to make customers more aware of the choices they make and allow them to choose “greener” items.

According to Earthday.org, “The idea came to Earth Day founder Gaylord Nelson, then a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, after witnessing the ravages of the 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California…As a result, on the 22nd of April, 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies.”

Though it is a national movement, community members and groups on campus are making an effort in our own backyard. 

On Saturday, the Green Energy Team hosted Green Fest in Chandler Park, an event intended to inform community members about various sustainability initiatives in the area, including GET’s own project to install more water bottle refilling stations on campus. 

The Macomb Food Co-op also offers both community members and students another way to live sustainably. According to GET president and co-founder Andrew Hardecopf, the food co-op is looking for more people to partake in sharing fresh, locally grown produce.

While these groups have started the long journey to sustainability, it is not enough. 

“We all live on this earth,” Hardecopf said in Wednesday’s issue. “It shouldn’t be Earth Day or Earth Week. Every day, people should care about the planet. This earth is a finite object, but we treat it like it is going to be infinite. We can all make a difference, and we should all want to make a difference.”

Earth Day is a great way to return our attention to the environment’s ample needs, but a continued effort is required to make any impact. As a member of our community, no matter if you are a student, a faculty member or a Macomb citizen, everyone should work to make Western Illinois University and Macomb sustainable, regardless of what day it is.