University life: Participation required

WC Editorial Board

The first week of the new semester is over. Give yourself a pat on the back for making it through the first week of a long semester.

But, the college experience expands beyond the classroom. If you do nothing with your time but complete the mandatory class- work, you are depriving yourself of a true college experience, and no, our suggestions have nothing to do with intoxication.

You need to get involved with something outside of your studies.There is a plethora of avail- able opportunities for students to become involved in a num- ber of clubs and organizations. From departmental clubs, to stu- dent government — even the Western Courier — the oppor- tunities abound. Unless you are an extremely boring shell-of-a- person, there has to be, at bare minimum, one student organiza- tion that fits your interest.

Of course, Greek Life is one option, but there are several other options on campus than joining a fraternity or sorority. Yes, these groups are great ways to make new friends, and yes, they claim to create networking opportunities, but they are also expensive and can have a bad image of “Animal House”-like antics to future employers. There is nothing wrong with partaking in Greek Life, but don’t limit yourself to “being Greek.” Rather, branch out and experiment with other groups , as well .

Let’s face it, the job market is as stagnant as the walls of Sherman Hall. College graduates no longer live in a world where a shiny, new diploma guarantees a career. Knowing all this, why would any- one avoid adding experiences to their resume?

Whether it’s in December or in another three years, imagine your graduation day. You are not going to remember all the information from every one of your classes, but you will remember the sub- stantial things you have achieved, and student groups will allow you to participate in a number of activities, from helping to orga- nize the mock election or attend- ing conferences with the Severe Weather Club.

There are over 125 student groups on this campus. You’ve run out of excuses not to be a part of one.

To learn more about student activities, the Fall Activities and Volunteer Fair will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 29 from 3-5 p.m in the Grand Ballroom.