Misconceptions don’t faze students

Misconceptions don’t faze students

We’ve heard from a variety of people, but one thing remains clear: people care about what they are doing.

Whether they are reporting on important news events or painstakingly creating works of art, Western students are taking the steps they need in order to do what they love, and that, of course, starts with selecting the right major.

And based on what they’ve written for the previous issues, it seems many of these students have. All of them, regardless of major, cited a higher purpose for choosing to do what they do. 

Journalism students, for example, feel they can be liaisons between the people and the businesses and agencies that serve them, despite the grim predictions for the entire industry.

History majors, meanwhile, look at the bigger picture. They believe studying historical events and the patterns that arise from them can have a major impact on today’s society — both in and out of the classroom.

Similarly, political science majors think studying the government is the only way to ensure that it doesn’t overstep its boundaries — and that citizens remain involved.

And, even with the misconceptions associated with fashion, fashion merchandising majors know studying the creation and purchase of clothes will affect everyone who wears them. Obviously, that includes just about everybody. 

Still, what about the students who have yet to find their “higher calling?” Does that mean they’ve already failed?

Of course not. Western requires students to take two years of general education classes for a reason. In these classes, students can discover what it is they want to pursue, even if the end result is a bit of surprise — as it was for two of our board members.

What isn’t surprising, however, is the dedication evidenced by these columns.

By the time they graduate, Western students will have spent at least three years here, not to mention thousands of dollars. With that kind of commitment, it only makes sense to put every effort into gleaning what you can from professors and peers.

So what can be drawn from all of this? Students, keep doing what you’re doing and do it well. Not only will it help you find your own satisfaction, everyone will benefit from your abilities, your work and your time.

—WC Editorial Board