Why my major matters : Reader Response

Communications

When you think of a communication degree, most people would say that it is the easy degree. Although it might seem that way, the degree is not about how you get it, but what you do with it.

The field of communication is known as a major that can be widely distributed through the long list of job opportunities in the world. I am now majoring in communication with a minor in marketing, and I feel honestly that my choice of major is the best way to go.

Communication is an important factor in society. The way you talk, approach and persuade people in the world all revolves around the concept of communication. One of the universal axioms of communication states that, “you cannot not communicate” — meaning you cannot go through life without communicating because every- thing you do shows off some sort of communication.

In the business field, persuasion and good people skills are needed to further your job experience and salary. Discussing PowerPoints and projects to other employees and head executives and bosses all revolve around fluent communication and people skills.

Showcasing that you are eligible to distribute or persuade someone to do something can take you many places in life. Dealerships, entrepreneurs and salesmen all involve the actions of persuasion and social comfort.

Also, it never hurts to learn how to speak and talk properly, because in situations such as job interviews, you are put to the test of exemplifying how profound you are and what makes you stand out from the rest. It is powerful to know that what you say or how you say it can put control over one’s actions.

— Yosiah Willis

Women’s Studies and Law Enforcement and Justice Administration

“I don’t know why women don’t leave their abusive husbands,” said a former professor of mine. I’ll tell you why: dependency and danger. And yes, this was one of my first experiences as a law enforcement and justice administration student. I am currently a senior double majoring in LEJA and women’s studies. It’s definitely an interest- ing combination. Sometimes I feel like Harriet the Spy.

When I first came to Western, I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to major in. I heard nothing but excellent feedback about the LEJA program. But, thanks to numer- ous sexist comments by professors and students, I quickly felt excluded. Don’t get me wrong — the content of the courses are interesting and informative, and I have had a couple of excellent, socially-aware professors. However, when I constantly hear judges and police officers referred to as “he” or excessive victim blaming when it comes to sexual assault, or being told to grow “cojones,” I knew I needed an outlet to keep my sanity, and so I found women’s studies.

It was in my women’s studies courses that I learned that the vast majority of law enforcement personnel are Caucasian males. This was reflected in my courses, considering 22.5% of declared LEJA undergraduates were female, according to the 2011 fact book. The stats for people of color in LEJA, are far less. That’s a prob- lem. There were times when I wanted to drop the LEJA major, but I didn’t because people of color, women, LGBTQ persons and etc. are desperately needed in law enforcement and the criminal justice system if we ever want to truly achieve justice.

It was in my women’s studies courses that I learned about Interpersonal violence, stalking, racial disparities in sentencing and, gender- based violence — and the list continues. The women’s studies professors are excellent, educated and real-life activists. They are truly an inspiration and absolutely made my college career. Everything I have learned from my professors, in both majors actually (even if unintentionally), has helped me realize where I want my life and career to go.

I want to attend graduate school to get my master’s in criminology with a concentration in gender and women’s studies and eventually earn my Ph.D. I want to tackle so many issues wrong with our prison industrial complex. I want my career to involve fighting for reproductive justice, particularly with incarcerated persons. I want to make a difference in people’s lives, and thanks to the experiences I’ve had here, I know I will be able to make that happen.

—Alicia Guzman-Riley

Meteorology

I feel that my meteorology major matters because weather is something that is constantly affecting our lives in one way or another. Whether we notice it or not, it has an impact on us every single day. Because of this, all of us should be more educated about it. It is crucial that people are educated about weather safety and know all of the precautions that must be taken.Students who major in meteorology have the ability to mitigate the possible risks posed by the weather and make a huge difference in other people’s lives. One of the main reasons I decided to enter the field was so that I could help people and ultimately save lives.

Another reason that the meteorology major matters is that there are endless opportunities. Meteorology can be overlapped with so many other disciplines, such as emergency management, environmental studies, and individuals can even work with NASA.It is not all about just forecasting, sitting at a desk or being on television. There are so many other things that individuals in this field can achieve. Being in the program has helped me to realize that the possibilities are endless.

— Amy Huelsmann

Broadcasting

I chose to be a broadcasting major because of what I can do for the community. Ever since I was a kid watching the local news, I always looked up to the people anchoring the news. They are always out doing things to help out the community and making the people informed of what is going on. Listening to the news has been a common feature in many households ever since radio programming was invented.

One of the other main reasons I joined the broadcasting department was to be involved in sports. Listening to sports announcers has always been one of the most entertaining parts of watching a game. From Al Michaels to Gus Johnson, a good sports broad- caster can make a game come alive from the comfort of your own home.

Broadcasters also are a key form of entertainment on regular car trips. Many times I’ll tune into 670 The Score to listen to the Chicago sports analysis, or tune into my favorite radio DJ tell a joke or give me funny stories to relate to other people.

— Aaron Viner