From the desk of the opinions editor

Bethany Bekas-Yarker

College is expensive, but hopefully worth the time, work and dedication students put into their degrees. Yet, the value of higher education continues to be critiqued. For instance, “Is College a Lousy Investment?” scrolls across the most recent issue of Newsweek magazine. 

Hopefully, college is a time to dedicate yourself to your field and find your future career. 

Every student on this campus chose to go to college because they believe what they are learning matters. From accounting to zoology, Western offers 66 different bachelor’s degrees. Clearly, you didn’t pick your major because of the lack of other options. Your major is important to you. It can define you and sets you up for what you plan to do with the rest of your life. 

It is for that reason — and many others — that this week, the opinions section of the WC will feature a multi-part series: Why my major matters. 

The goal of this series is to highlight and appreciate the dedication of Western students and demonstrate that the years spent in college are not a bad investment, but rather a worthwhile pursuit to enter into very important fields. 

While I could wax poetic for pages on the reasons my major — history — matters, I’ve decided to open up the flood gates and gather opinions and viewpoints from a multitude of students from different backgrounds. 

So far, this series is set to feature columns from a fellow history major, commentary from several law enforcement and justice administration majors and artwork from — you guessed it — an art major, including today’s pieces by journalism majors Alyse Thompson and Sarah Tomkinson and graphic communications major Sam Fowler. 

Ideally, this series would feature 66 columns describing each of the major programs Western offers. Sadly, I’m not that idealistic, but I encourage all students who are so inclined to submit 250-word statements that reflect why they believe their majors are important. They should talk about the skills they accrued in their core classes and how they have already used or plan to use their degree in the future. 

All submissions can be emailed to bl-bekas@wiu.edu. No submissions will be accepted after 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 21. Due to spacing constraints, I cannot assure all submissions will be printed.