Macomb police searches for Murray Street shooting suspect

Bill Welt editor in chief

The Macomb Police Department is investigating a nonfatal shooting that occurred on West Murray Street early Sunday morning. 

The Macomb police discovered a male victim had been shot above the hip in his own residence after responding to a fight in progress shortly before 4 a.m.

“As officers arrived on the scene they were informed that one male subject was suffering from an apparent gunshot wound,” the department’s press release said.

The male suspect, who wore a bandana covering his face, entered the victim’s residence through the backdoor and used a small caliber weapon.

The victim, a nonstudent aged 20, was released from the McDonough District Hospital. Investigators learned that a fight occurred at the same residence earlier in the evening, involving the victim. In fact, three nonstudents were arrested for mob action and disorderly conduct—Robert D. Anderson, 21; Brandon Terry, 22; and Jorge Vargas, 22.

Macomb Police Chief Curt Barker said the individuals arrested have been involved in several other criminal incidents in town. However, he could not say if the shooting was gang-related or if it was premeditated. Barker did say there were not any concerns about the gunman posing an immediate threat to the Western Illinois University campus.

“The key that we want to get out to everyone is if anyone has any information concerning either one of these incidents, if they were a witness or they have additional information or they hear something, that we would like them to contact us with that information,” Barker said.

Barker said the victim’s name was not released due to “possible retaliation.” 

He also said Macomb has only seen a slight increase in fights this year. He said from August 2011 to October 22, 2011, the total number of fights, batteries, aggravated batteries and assaults altogether was 99. For the same time range this year, the number is 105.

Anyone with information about the shooting is encouraged to call the department at 309/833-4505 and those who wish to stay anonymous may submit a tip by visiting the Macomb police website or texting “MPDTIPS” plus their message to 274637.