The choice is clear

Brady Smith

In a world filled with constant conflict and disagreement, it is not uncommon to have one’s opinion be unpopular among a large portion of the population. To some of you, this piece I hope will be uplifting and reassure you of your correctness in this great debate. To the rest of you, I hope this enrages you in your defense of your disgusting opinion. That’s right folks, we are talking about an issue tearing families apart across the nation: boxed macaroni and cheese preference.

I believe that all the discourse can be eliminated and peace can be restored at the dinner table if one takes the time to step back and look at the facts that surround the situation. The most notable, perhaps, is that of the type of cheese that accompanies the pasta. Kraft’s Mac and Cheese included packet of cheese product is similar in appearance to that of orange Pixy Stixs. This orange-hued powder gives the noodles an unsavory texture, a sort of chalkiness that takes away from any possible enjoyment. That possible enjoyment is also eclipsed by the unnatural taste of the “cheese.” Calling this powder cheese is similar to referring to communion wafers as bread. While in theory, yes it may be, one cannot be expected to cover that tasteless crisp with peanut butter and bring it along as a snack. Likewise, humanity shouldn’t be forced to settle for Cheeto crumbs as the cheese to their macaroni.

The noodle structure of Kraft’s product is unstable and leads to frequent slipping off the fork. Eating their product — which also never cooks up to the shape that the noodle is advertised as — is a slow process and is oftentimes frustrating. Finding the time and emotional willingness to endure a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is not easy to do. The final result is a safety-orange colored, straight, slippery noodle with unenticing taste and a texture that would put off even the hungriest of people.

On the contrary, we can throw away the blue box of Kraft and reach for the golden cheesy goodness that is Velveeta Shells and Cheese. The simplicity in their concave structure leads to a reliable and consistent forkful of deliciousness. There is no worry of a prolonged meal due to faulty pasta structure. The liquid cheese packet included is consistent with what is normally considered cheese not only in color, but also in texture and taste. Its sensational ability to bind the shells together into a gooey mixture of wonder is an added bonus.

In the end, we as a society have to make the decision. Do we pick the option that one would expect to have a shelf life of half of a century and to be found in a bomb shelter, or do we decide on the one that is at least comparable to Grandma’s homemade macaroni? As a starving college student, I will take anything close to home cooking as often as possible. I believe that the clear choice is to come to a consensus and choose collectively to do without Kraft’s powdered cheese.