Western delivers a WAVE of volunteering

Tabi Jozwick

Western All Volunteer Effort (WAVE) will be hosting a volunteer fair in the University Union’s Lincoln Room today from 5:30 to 7 p.m. for National Volunteer Week, which takes place during the week of April 23-30.

“National Volunteer Week is just basically a week of volunteering,” said Doriana Carter, WAVE special events chair and organizer of National Volunteer Week at Western Illinois University. “With WAVE, we do weekly events, and with National Volunteer Week, we’ll be doing the same weekly volunteering events we usually do and then also more special events as well.”

Carter said that each member of WAVE’s executive board has their own weekly event that students can sign up for.

“One of the weekly special events is Wesley Village,” Carter said. “Our president Mattea (Scanlan) runs that every week, and it’s basically going to the nursing home and just spending time with the people who live there. We also have two volunteering events that deal with working with kids, MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) and PACT Head Start. We also have some volunteer events on campus like campus cleanup, and our webmaster James (McAdams) is in charge of doing that. We also have a thing called Dear Future Friends, where you send cards and letters out to people and stuff like that, so that’s one of the other volunteering events we have.”

Not only that, but WAVE will have their own weekly events for students to sign up for. There will be special volunteering events for National Volunteer Week, Moses King, which was held yesterday, and a Big Brothers Big Sisters youth carnival at the YMCA of McDonough County on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“With Moses King, it’s basically like gardening, and so what volunteers would be doing was just basically helping with planting, digging up stuff, mulching,” Carter said. “It’s like an outdoor shop that deals with a lot of handiwork in regard to planting stuff, digging up stuff, so it seems to be really fun and interesting that most people really enjoy it.”

Carter said the carnival is a way the Macomb community can come togteher and have fun all for a good cause.

“It’s basically like a carnival for the kids in the Macomb area to just come out and have fun,” Carter said. ”I know that they have games, raffles, popcorn, little treats and stuff like that for the kids. We’ll come out and help work at the different booths. People who are members of WAVE, they sign up for the various booths and to help pass the cotton candy because they want us to come out and help them sell cotton candy, so that’s what volunteers will be doing at the youth carnival.”

Carter hoped that Western students would take the time to do volunteer work during National Volunteer Week and during their time at Western. “I feel like people should volunteer because you can really make an impact,” Carter said. “Volunteering is giving back to the community, and you may not feel like you are, but you’re really making an impact.

I feel that it’s making a big impact on somebody’s life when you’re volunteering, and it’s good to give back to the community, and making someone happy is good.”