WIU Alumnus, Bart Shatto, costars on hit show “Chicago Med”

Alyssa Hohman

For Western Illinois fans of the popular show “Chicago Med” look out for a familiar face this season. Western Illinois University alumnus Bart Shattowill be featured on the show for its second season airing April 13 on NBC.

“Chicago Med” is a show that is set in a Chicago hospital, go figure, specifically the emergency room in the Gaffney Chicago Medical Center. The show follows around a variety of doctors and nurses as they go through their daily craze of saving lives. The show also sometimes crosses characters withother Chicago — based shows “Chicago P.D.” and “Chicago Fire.”

According to publicist, Amy Patterson, Bart Shatto was a student here at Western from 1983-1985.An Illinois native,Shatto got his major in Mass Communications and Broadcasting and had a minor in theater at Western and then went on to Southern Illinois University where he continued his studies. While here at Western he joined a musical group known as the ‘Newcomers’ and was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity.

Shatto has gone on to perform on Broadway in a whole host ofshows. According to IMDb, Shatto has performed in everythingfrom small theaters to cruise lines and Broadway. He has gone from performing in small town theater toa variety of prestigious theaters like Carnegie Hall and even in Washington D.C. at the National Theater, where he performed for President Bush.

Both musically and theatrically talented, Shatto has been in a number of Broadway shows. According to his publicist, these shows include “Les Miserables”, “The Civil War” and “Dracula,” he has performedon several Broadway tours including “Les Miserables,” “The Civil War,” “Cats” and others.

As mentioned previously, Shatto has also ventured into the land of television. His upcoming role on “Chicago Med” is not his first televised experience. In fact, Shatto has been a part of several television shows produced by some major networks including “Ghost Stories” (Fox Family), “Guiding Light” ABC) and “Gaspard and Lisa” (Disney Jr.) according to Patterson.

Shatto’s newest role on “Chicago Med” should be intriguing. His character, Stan Gallager, will interact with a newly revealed but drama — causing character. This additional new character will be the father of one Will Halsted. In an interview Shatto explains that this newcharacter will “makethe episode one you can’t miss” and that the “ending is revealing”.

It is always great to see Western alumni doing well, but to be able to see them on a popular television show is super cool. Fans of the show should definitely look out for Bart Shatto and current students can aspire to have the success that he has shown. Maybe this fame can even help out the university’s falling enrollment, a famous alumnus is always great for publicity.

“Chicago Med” runs on NBC Thursday nights at 8 p.m.