Track and field run into the record books

Brie Coder

Both the men and women’s track and field brought home even more successful wins at the GVSU Big Meet in Allendale, Michigan on Friday and Saturday and the Fighting Scot Invitational in Monmouth, Illinois on Saturday.

At the GVSU meet, Senior Alyssa Johnson set another record in the 400-meter with a personal best of 58.08. Next to Johnson in the single races, Freshman Bo Brasseur led the women in the 200-meter with a running time of 25.81. Along with single races, Senior Madison Lefler ran a personal best in the distance running competition with a time of 10:54.79. In the women’s distance medley relay, Freshmen Jacey Roper, Abigail Richter, Nicole Beebe and Senior Jaclyn Finney ran 12:33.91 ranking them ninth in program history.

The men’s running division also had impressive scores in the GVSU Big Meet. Senior Charles Morrow IV placed 10th in the 60-meter with a time of 7.07. Not only did he run in the 60-meter this weekend, but he also ran a 200-meter with a personal best of 22.58. Along with Morrow IV in the 60-meter, Freshman Josh Kirby qualified for finals in the 60-meter at 8.53. In the distant running, Junior Corey Thompsen led the men’s division with a time of 9:25.99. In the track events many of the men and women performed with high intent, and came out leading the pack.

Not only did the runners in the men and women’s divisions perform well, but several men and women in the field events led impressive scores. Sophomore Khalyia Lawson led Western with scores of 17-5 1/2 and 36-10 1/4 in both the long and triple jump. Next to Lawson, senior Matt Simmons set a new personal best of 21-5 1/4 in the long jump.

Besides the jumps, there were great performances in the shot put part of the field events. Freshmen Allison Richter led Western in the shot put with a throw of 40-7 3/4. Next to Richter, senior Abbi Smith tossed 45-0 1/2 in the weight throw. Overall, the GVSU Big Meet had a lot of great performances both on the track and in the field. Besides the GVSU Big Meet in Allendale, Michigan, there was the Fighting Scot Invitational in Monmouth, Illinois on Feb. 11. Several runners and field athletes set personal best records, which landed them with record top 10 finishes.

In the women’s running division, Junior Raytoria Richardson led the women’s team in both the 200-meter and 400-meter with personal bests of 26.25 and 1:01.54. Freshman Mani Lock qualified for finals in the 60-meter with 8.04. Not only did Lock qualify for finals, but she set a new personal best record and placed eighth overall. Another runner qualified for finals. Freshman Jasmin Duncan raced in the 60-meter with a new personal best of 10.87, which landed her in eighth overall as well. In the men’s running division, freshman Noah Willoughby led the men in 60-meter sprints with a time of 7.26.

The field participants at the Fighting Scot Invitational had personal best scores as well. Freshman Megan Reed leaped to 17-2 in the long jump. Reed also placed fourth in the triple jump with a mark of 36-0. Freshman Josh Swope scored a mark of 6-4 1/4 in the high jump, which placed Swope in third. Brad Walls, a senior, had a weight throw toss of 53-1. Walls was placed second. Lastly, freshman Daniel Campagna threw a personal record of over four feet in the shot put of 41-4 1/4.

Track and field of both the men and women’s will meet once again for the Orange and Blue Invitational in Champaign, Illinois on Feb. 18 at 10 a.m. Western does not compete in a home meet until April 14, when they host the annual Lee Clahoun Memorial Invitational.