Ed Sheeran’s Triumphant Return

Abbi Seul

After disappearing for a year, Ed Sheeran has returned to the public eye and is ready to step up to the plate in 2017! In December 2015, Sheeran announced that he would be taking a break from music and social media because he felt that he was “seeing the world through a screen.” He announced he would be “taking this opportunity … to be anywhere or do anything, to travel the world and see everything (he) missed.” Despite the disappointing news that the beloved musician would be taking a leave from the spotlight, fans had hope as he also stated that he would have more music in the works.

The 25-year-old singer/songwriter is no stranger to success. Ed has been writing and producing hit music for years. Some of today’s hits were penned by the man himself, including tracks like “Love Yourself” by Justin Bieber, “Little Things” by One Direction and “Everything Has Changed” by Taylor Swift. Sheeran was the first musical artist to ever take on a headline national arena tour completely solo, playing to approximately 190,000 fans in the process. He even managed to completely sell out Wembley Stadium in England. He won two Grammy awards in 2016, one for Song of the Year and the other for Best Pop Solo Performance. Over the years, he has gained eight Grammy nominations, 30 wins and 65 nominations for other awards like the American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards and BRIT Awards, to name a few.

Staying true to his word, Ed waited exactly one year after announcing his break to post on social media, declaring his return to the world. On Jan. 1, he announced that new music would be released the following Friday. His two new songs, postponed until January due to the controversial presidential election, “Shape of You” and “Castle on the Hill” immediately took the world by storm. Ed Sheeran is now the first artist to ever have number one and two hits released simultaneously on the ARIA singles chart and the UK singles chart. “Shape of You,” initially written for singer Rihanna, has become Sheeran’s third number one hit on the national singles chart, along with “Sing” and “Thinking Out Loud.”

Ed’s highly anticipated new album, “Divide,” debuts on March 3, featuring titles like “Dive,” “New Man” and “Perfect.” The Deluxe version of “Divide” will even feature a song sung in Spanish, as a tribute to the city Barcelona, a love of Sheeran’s. Ed stated that some of his new tracks were inspired by his significant other, Cherry Seaborn. During his time off from music and social media, Sheeran had time to pursue a serious relationship, and said that the couple has even adopted cats together. He even has a song on the new album, “Perfect,” inspired by their relationship.

The two new singles “Shape of You” and “Castle on the Hill” have taken a fun new direction, with a different sound than Sheeran’s previous albums. If these tracks are any indication of what his album will be like, the music world has lots to look forward to. Fans are waiting on the edge of their seats to see what else Ed Sheeran will bring to the table in 2017.